Smartwatches have regained momentum in 2018 as one of our favorite gadgets. Thanks to technological innovation, unique design and, above all, by the price adjustment have gained the acceptance of users.
Let’s review in this article which were the best smartwatches in 2018.
What Is a Smartwatch?
First of all, if you don’t know yet what is a smartwatch we will explain what it is.
This is a digital clock that includes internal processors similar to mobile phones. Its screen is compatible with apps that can perform many of the functions of a smartphone, but also add other new features related to body monitoring in areas of health and sports.
Innovation and user feedback move the sector towards specialization . Currently, most models are part of one of these types:
- Smartwatches Premium: The most advanced in the market, with cutting-edge features and an elegant and / or technical design.
- Sport Smartwatches: Specifically developed for sports enthusiasts, with monitoring apps compatibility and a clearly sporty design.
- Designer Smartwatches: Devices made with a special dedication to design, usually classic and elegant.
- Smartwatches for children: Functionally limited for children, with a childish design and with parental device linkages.
Best Smartwatch Brands
Although the smartwatch market is constantly growing, Samsung and Apple are also here the two most important brands in terms of smartwatches.
Huawei is also developing models that stand out for their high quality and low price, just as Xiaomi seems to be moving out of the mid-range, to gradually compete with the biggest in the sector.
Other important brands that market smartwatch are Sony, Nokia, Garmin, TomTom, Fossil, Asus or Fitbit, among many others.
First Smartwatch in History
There is controversy when it comes to identifying the first smartwatch in history. The debate begins by defining what an intelligent watch is and how it differs from technologically advanced watches.
We identify these first smartwatches:
- First digital clock with intelligent functions: Hewlett Packard HP-01 (year 1977), with digital display and 28 keys controllable by a plastic pencil. Calculator, chronometer, alarm, calendar and agenda.
- First smartwatch: Data Link (year 1994), developed by Timex, Microsoft and NASA. An impressive advance with the ability to capture, store and share digital information with computers to which it could connect. His battery lasted 3 years.
- First commercial smartwatch: Pebble (year 2012), the first real smartwatch commercialized in a massive way and even financed by crowfunding. Later Fitbit bought Pebble and currently they manufacture some of the best smartwatch with activity monitoring functions.
Buying a smartwatch can be motivated by many reasons. One of them is to take advantage of the monitoring functions, much more effective than in any smartphone because they are usually in the pockets and not directly attached to the skin.
In addition, a high-performance smartwatch is cheaper than a smartphone with premium features.
Also, the design of these devices has evolved allowing to choose the one which best suits the user needs, whether: sports fan, an elegant aesthetics or advanced technology.
Finally, smartwatches are beginning to be manufactured with eSIM compatibility to offer the same qualities as a mobile phone, without the need to have one nearby, since they are based on the use of virtual identification cards.
The Best Smartwatches on the Market
These are the main features of the best smartwatches:
Samsung Galaxy Watch
It’s considered the most advanced, perfectly combines a very attractive design, perfect smartphone functions and compatibility with monitoring apps. If you also have a Samsung smartphone, you can enjoy a better link between them in maximum quality screen .
Huawei Watch 2
The new model of this chinese brand improves the first models. This wereable has GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, sport monitoring sensors and a clearly sport visual style.
Apple Watch Series 4
Apple continues to improve its smartwatch with its fourth model in 2018. This is the best smartwatch on the market, with a very high quality, design and materials, as well as the advantage of watchOS. It still does not replace an iPhone, but every year is getting closer and closer.